MD of an IT Consultancy
The MD of an IT Consultancy delivering On Line Analytical ProcessingÂ (OLAP) solutions was frustrated by slowing growth and profit fallingÂ short of targets.
The starting point
- The typical low IT industry success rate with client projects. Despite intensive training, sophisticated Prince II project management and ProsciÂ change management methodologies 60% of client projects failed to eitherÂ complete on time, or on budget or deliver outcomes meeting expectationsÂ (and this was better than industry average).
- Client management typically resisted or sabotaged the OLAP projectsÂ through ignorance of what the system was for and how the data wouldÂ help them. They misunderstood the system goals thinking it was aÂ means to check up on their performance. As a result implementationsÂ often dragged out over 12 to 18 months.
- Traditional classroom training had not worked well with the managerÂ users – the very people most likely to realise benefits from the OLAPÂ system.
How NLP skills came into play
- Advanced communication and influence skills that would integrate withÂ his change management methodology and help his team deliver aÂ compelling change story to increase his clients’ project success rate.
- AÂ means to motivate client management to role model project support.
- AÂ means to ensure managers aligned the surrounding structures, systems,Â processes and incentives to be in tune with and reinforce the need forÂ change.
- He wanted 100% success on projects in order to create referenceÂ clients from every engagement. And he wanted his clients to be able toÂ motivate clients to measure the value of their OLAP projects throughÂ specific business performance improvements that had financial impactsÂ that could be quantified.
- A means to help client management develop the skills needed to leadÂ successful and rapid change. And a means to reframe their naturalÂ change resistance and leverage it to have them embrace change andÂ adopt use of the new systems. When implementing the OLAP systems,Â client adoption would be fast (less than three months per site) andÂ successful – generating business performance improvement.
- An effective training approach that could address the pitfalls ofÂ traditional content based classroom instruction. One that could helpÂ managers – develop an understanding of the role of OLAP and theÂ abstract business goals driving OLPA technologies, realise how theyÂ could use OLAP for personal and career gain; leverage their tacitÂ knowledge and intuitive business expertise to appreciate how OLAPÂ changed the model of the business making unforeseen things possible.
Inspiritive provided the MD with those capabilities by having the MD and aÂ number of his consultants complete the Graduate Certificate NLP program, learning excellence in their communication to improve theirÂ influence, consequential thinking skills to improve their changeÂ management strategies, and skills for change and choice improving theirÂ ability to lead organisational and culture change projects. They alsoÂ developed skills for modelling the behaviour and capabilities of expertsÂ (replicating talent) and this had significant unexpected beneficialÂ consequences.
The business results were immediate, high value and everything he hadÂ hoped for. They included:
- The success rate on OLAP projects increased to 100%.
- The implementation time on projects dropped to between 3 and 4Â months.
- His business growth rate and profit percentage doubled.
- He also started a new division of the business, providing servicesÂ to model experts.
The first models were in the sales arena and helped clients deliver someÂ extra-ordinary sales performance improvements. Projects consistentlyÂ delivered outcomes 20% or more above what clients thought was the bestÂ possible. This division continues to date having grown to be the mainÂ revenue stream for his consultancy and having helped over 140 clients toÂ exceed 300% return on investment for their change projects.
The MD measured the year one return on his investment at over 3,000%Â and the payback period as less than one month. The MD now insists thatÂ all of his consultants complete the NLP Graduate Certificate qualification.
* The MDÂ referred to in this success story has completed the Graduate Certificate NLP at Inspiritive. To learn more about this qualification and how you too can obtain it click on the Learn More button below.